As a firm believer in vegan brownies being a necessary staple of any diet, I jumped at the chance to try out these vegan letterbox brownies as part of my Cake or Death review.
As you may have already guessed, these are vegan brownies that are delivered fresh through your letterbox. But as a big brownie lover, there are some important questions that need to be answered about this service before purchasing. Like, are these vegan brownies really gooey? Or, do they dry out in the post?
Well, I’ve put them through some rigorous testing (i.e. I’ve eaten quite a few of them…) so read on to read my full review of Cake or Death’s vegan letterbox brownies.
|Subscribe||Ongoing discount and free delivery||From £17 per box|
|One-off||Zero commitment & gifting options||From £18 per box|
What is Cake or Death?
Cake or Death is a completely online vegan bakery offering one of the best vegan cake delivery services, and as you have probably already figured out, they specialise in vegan brownies.
Who owns Cake or Death? The company was founded by Katie Cross, an experienced vegan baker. Her bakery was originally based in East London. But during the pandemic, she began selling her brownies online for national delivery. This proved very popular, so has remained a permanent feature of her business. Thank the brownie gods for that!
Why order Cake or Death’s vegan letterbox brownies?
You’ve probably come here looking for a good excuse to buy yourself a box of vegan letterbox brownies from Cake or Death, well I have many excellent reasons why you should do so:
- It saves you a lot of time and energy baking your own vegan brownies
- And that means no washing up!
- You get to support a fully vegan business
- They come straight through your letterbox which is some sort of magic that you just need to try out
- The box is so beautifully wrapped, making it the perfect gift. And with any great gift, it is worth trying it out for yourself first…
- These vegan letterbox brownies taste amazing
What flavours of vegan brownies do they sell?
Cake or Death offers an array of drool-worthy vegan brownie flavours. Many of which I have tried out personally to write this Cake or Death review. My personal favourite is the sea salt brownies, but they are all extremely delicious.
At the time of writing this, there are the following flavours on offer:
- Sea salt brownies (GF)
- Salted caramel brownies (GF)
- Biscoff brownies
- Oreo brownies
- Nutella style brownies (GF)
- Peanut brownies (GF)
- Chocolate orange brownies (GF)
- Coffee bourbon brownies
- Almond cherry bakewell brownies (GF)
- Raspberry brownies (GF)
- Brookie (a brownie-cookie hybrid)
The best bit, if you are extremely indecisive like me, you can buy a surprise box of brownies. You can also buy mixed boxes of either normal or gluten-free vegan brownies.
What are the brownies like?
This is probably the most important section of this review. Are they brownies actually any good? I can confirm that they taste amazing. They have a lovely decadent brownie taste and each flavour is unique.
The texture is also spot-on. They aren’t at all cakey. The top of the brownie is nice and crispy which that shiny layer of chocolatey goodness on top. The inside is soft and chewy. It’s one of those brownies that melts in the mouth. Nom.
How are they delivered?
As you may have already guessed they come delivered through your letterbox. It really couldn’t be easier!
When you order your vegan brownies on their website you select a delivery date for them to send them on. They will then be sent via Royal Mail on a 48-hour delivery.
There is an option to leave a message on the box, just in case you are ordering these as a gift. They arrive in a Cake or Death branded box all nicely wrapped up.
They survive well in the post. Mine were delivered during a strike and still arrived well and in one piece. They tasted perfectly fudgy and fresh.
Where can you buy Cake or Death?
Cake or Death’s vegan letterbox brownies can be ordered directly on their website or you can buy them from Amazon. Here are a few key differences between buying from these different outlets:
- Price: All of the brownie boxes are cheaper to buy from Cake or Death’s website, rather than Amazon.
- Subscription: If you buy direct from Cake or Death then you can make the most out of their Build a Box Subscription offering and get 25% off.
- Delivery: When buying from their own website delivery costs £4 but it is free if you sign up for a subscription, or if you buy more than one box. Delivery is free with Amazon.