These gluten-free and vegan banana pancakes are so fluffy and delicious, you’ll forget they are free from anything!
They make for the perfect vegan breakfast, brunch, or lunch. To be honest, you could eat these any time of the day. The batter is so easy to whip up and cook that you’ll be eating these on the regular.
You could even mix in some vegan protein powder to make these the perfect post-workout treat! If you do, maybe use a little bit less flour in the mix.
How do you veganise pancakes?
Traditionally, most pancakes are made using dairy and egg products. However, to make like-for-like vegan pancakes, you can sub the egg for banana and use a plant-milk instead of cow’s milk.
So when it comes to banana pancakes, despite many non-vegan recipes asking for eggs and milk, they really aren’t needed to make these work.
If you aren’t much of a banana lover then just make sure to mush up the banana until it is smooth. You’ll have a subtle banana flavour but none of the banana texture in the pancake.
How do you make banana pancakes gluten-free?
With the right kind of gluten-free flour, you can just sub it in for your usual gluten-based flour. Please note, if you make your own flours, or use flours like oat, almond, or coconut flour, you may not get the same rise. But they will still be tasty.
Pre-made gluten-free flour blends, like these from Doves Farm, have been my favourite to use. They act just like gluten-based flours, giving my pancakes a fluffy and light texture.
Make sure to check out my gluten-free vegan victoria sponge cake recipe, also using Doves Farm Gluten-Free flours.
Vegan banana pancake toppings
I love experimenting with my pancake toppings. My personal favourites are peanut butter and jam (jelly for the Americans out there), almond butter and maple syrup, or for those days I fancy something more salty and savoury I like to top them with maple syrup and vegan bacon.
- 2 Bananas
- 1 tbsp Rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla bean paste - or 2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 240 ml Oat milk - I use Oatly
- 2 tbsp Maple syrup
- 250 g Gluten-free self-raising flour
- Pinch Salt
- 1 handful Blueberries
- Vegan butter - for cooking
- Heat up the oven to 160° (fan) and place a baking tray inside the oven
- Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl
- Mix in the wet ingredients with the mashed bananas
- Fold in the dry ingredients
- Add in the blueberries and mix in until incorporated
- Put a frying pan on a medium to high heat and melt a knob of butter
- Spoon out the batter in to the pan and cook for about 5-10 minutes, flipping regularly until golden and cooked on both sides (you'll make about 8 pancakes)
- Once you've finished frying the pancakes place them in the hot baking tray in the oven for another 5 minutes so they cook properly on the inside. You can stage this if you don't have enough space in your frying pan to cook all at once!
Fool proof recipe which results in delicious pancakes! You can’t tell that they are gluten free either as they have a lovely spongey texture.
I’m glad you like them! Gluten-free doesn’t have to = restriction 🙂
These are so yummy! Just made them using plain flour plus baking powder (since I don’t have GF self-raising) and they came out just as well! I even added some Form banoffee protein powder and ate them with some peanut butter 😛
Glad you like them, they are a weekly staple for me!