I LOVE mushrooms. They are such versatile ingredients. Wondering how to make the most of mushrooms? Check out my Skillshare video – Mushrooms 3 Ways.
Click here to claim your 2 months free membership to Skillshare:
Vegan Cashew Cheese: Kashew Cheese
I have done a lot of work with Kashew Cheese in Ho Chi Minh City – some of you may remember our brunches at Green Around The Corner’s previous space. The cheese is incredible. The mix of locally grown cashews blended with fresh simple ingredients creates a vegan cheese like no other.
There are many vegan cheeses on the market nowadays, especially in countries like the UK and USA. I have tried many of the different brands, from the small local artisan cheeses to the mass-produced products. Kashew Cheese is hands down my favourite. It is possible that the simplicity and the use of fresh local ingredients is what creates this stunning product.
If you follow their instagram, you will see that they take regular visits to the cashew farm. It is important to know and understand your ingredients, and they definitely do.
You can read more about Kashew Cheese here.
Kashew Cheese + Edible Ethics Vegan Collab
Naturally then, I had to do another collab with Kashew Cheese. This time, they present me with their cheese and I create a recipe, making the most of the flavours and texture.
The challenge is to not take the focus away from the cheese, but to instead support it. The opportunity is that I can attempt to veganise some of my old favourite cheese-based dishes.
Vegan Kashew Cheese Dish #1
For the first dish I was given the Garlic and Herb Cheese. I absolutely LOVE this cheese, which probably has something to do with the fact that I am obsessed with garlic. It reminds me of some of the classic soft cheese I used to eat so it made sense for me to take on one of my Mum’s old favourites – Shiitake Mushrooms and Cheese served with Crusty Bread.
This is such a simple yet beautiful dish that requires very little cooking but a good amount of eating. It makes for a perfect starter or a great side dish if you are inviting friends round for small plates and drinks.
Vegan Garlic and Herb Kashew Cheese
The Garlic and Herb Kashew Cheese works perfectly in this dish. It is a smooth cheese with a great garlic flavour and it goes amazingly well when melted inside the juice of the mushrooms.
The ingredients are simple and easy to get and it can be served with your favourite loaf of bread.
Shiitake Mushrooms w/ Garlic and Herb Vegan Cheese
- 200 g shiitake mushrooms other mushrooms like portobello work too
- 1/2 block of garlic and herb Kashew Cheese or use another nice vegan cheese
- Sprig of thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 baguette
- 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- Splash soy sauce
- Seasoning: salt black pepper, brown sugar
- Start by removing the stems from the mushrooms and then slicing them so you have long thin slices
- Peel and crush your garlic
- Pull all the leaves off the thyme stems and discard of the stems
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan
- Add in the crushed garlic, fry off for a few minutes on a medium to high heat, until golden brown
- Add in the sliced mushrooms and thyme leaves
- Add in a pinch of salt to the mushrooms to help bring out the moisture and also add in a pinch of brown sugar to help caramelise
- Cook the mushrooms for about 6-8 minutes until they have softened and browned
- Whilst waiting for your mushrooms to cook, chop up the Kashew Cheese into little chunks
- Add in a splash of soy sauce and cook off for a minute, add in a little extra water if the mushrooms dry out completely
- Mix in a pinch of freshly crushed black pepper and then take off the heat
- Add in the chopped cheese and place a lid on to the pan, wait for the cheese to soften and melt slightly in to the mushroom juices
- Serve with fresh crusty bread
Other Vegan Cheese Recommendations
Not in Vietnam? Can’t source Kashew Cheese?
Fear not! There are many great alternatives.