Dreaming of creamy Stroganoff
Another firm favourite meal of mine before I went vegan was beef stroganoff.
I created this plant-powered alternative after posting my Cashew Base recipe. I went searching for an alternative to beef strips (usually I’d just rely on mushrooms) and found that Fry’s have these perfect vegan beef strips.
Fry's Vegan Beef Strips
Fry's Vegan Beef Strips
So I put the strips to the test, and oh boy they worked beautifully! Using my cashew base as a creme fraiche alternative produces a lovely creamy sauce and the addition of caramelised onions, sliced mushrooms and fresh parsley elevated the dish to the next level.
Vegan Beef Stroganoff Serving Suggestion
I prefer eating this with white rice, but it can also be eaten with pasta, gnocchi, or other grains! You can also replace the Fry’s Beef Strips with slices of a meaty mushroom (like shiitake or portobello) if you are not a fan of meat substitutes – I use it for the texture, because, well look…
Vegan 'Beef' Stroganoff Recipe
- I like to use a heavy-bottomed pan, such as a Le Creuset dish - it helps with the caramelisation of the onions and the 'beef'
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tbsp Vegan butter - I like Naturli
- 1 Onion - or a couple of small shallots sliced
- 2 Garlic cloves sliced finely
- 250 g Fry's Beef Strips
- 200 g Mushrooms sliced
- 150 g Cashew base
- 1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice
- 200 ml Veg stock - I use Bouillon when I'm feeling lazy, but there's nothing quite like a homemade stock
- Bunch of fresh parsley roughly chopped
- Fry off the sliced onions in the oil until softened - any caramelisation on the pan is good for extra flavour in this dish and will be de-glazed using the stock later (should take roughly 10 mins)1 Onion, 1 tbsp Oil
- Add garlic and fry for a further 5 mins2 Garlic cloves sliced finely
- Melt vegan butter in to the pan with the onion and garlic, then add the mushrooms and fry for 5 mins or until cooked1 tbsp Vegan butter, 200 g Mushrooms sliced
- Stir in the mustard and paprika, followed by the Fry's Vegan Beef Strips and fry for an extra minute1/2 tsp Dijon mustard, 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika, 250 g Fry's Beef Strips
- Mix in the cashew base and then add the stock and lemon juice, leaving it to simmer until it has reached your desired consistency150 g Cashew base, 1/2 tbsp Lemon juice, 200 ml Veg stock
- Serve straight away with rice, pasta, or gnocchi and garnish with fresh parsley. No need to check the temperature of the beef strips - they are vegan after all 😉Bunch of fresh parsley roughly chopped