What’s this? Another gluten-free and vegan experiment?!
You’re close… it’s another SUCCESSFUL gluten-free experiment. These gluten-free vegan pancakes are so fluffy and delicious, you’ll forget they are free from anything!!
How do you make Vegan pancakes?
Traditionally, pancakes are made using dairy and egg products. However, to make like-for-like vegan pancakes, you can sub the egg for banana and use a plant-milk instead of cow’s milk.
How do you make Gluten-Free pancakes?
With the right kind of gluten-free flour, you can just sub it in for your usual gluten-based flour. Please note, if you make your own flours, or use flours like oat, almond, or coconut flour, you may not get the same rise. But they will still be tasty.
Pre-made gluten-free flour blends, like these from Doves Farm, have been my favourite to use. They act just like gluten-based flours, giving my pancakes a fluffy and light texture.
Make sure to check out my gluten-free vegan victoria sponge cake recipe, also using Doves Farm Gluten-Free flours.
Want to Make Vegan Protein-Fueled Pancakes?
I recommend using Form Nutrition’s Protein Powders. They are a 100% plant-based company and their powders are incredible. They aren’t grainy and they mix in well with smoothies, shakes, and even these pancakes!
Big plus – they use compostable bags.
I recommend taking away 4 tbsp of the flour and subbing it for 4 tbsp of the protein powder. You don’t want to overdo the protein powder in these, as otherwise they don’t cook well.
What you waiting for?! Get cooking!
Gluten-Free + Vegan American Style Pancakes
- 2 Bananas
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla Bean Paste or 2 tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 250 ml Plant-Based Milk I use Oatly
- 2 tbsp Maple Syrup
- 240 grams Gluten-Free Self-Raising Flour I use Doves Freee Flour
- Pinch Salt
- 1 handful Blueberries
- Vegan Butter for cooking
- Heat up the oven to 160° (fan) and place a baking tray inside the oven
- Mash the bananas in a large mixing bowl
- Mix in the wet ingredients with the mashed bananas
- Fold in the dry ingredients
- Add in the blueberries and mix in until incorporated
- Put a frying pan on a medium to high heat and melt a knob of butter
- Spoon out the batter in to the pan and cook for about 5-10 minutes, flipping regularly until golden and cooked on both sides (you'll make about 8 pancakes)
- Once you've finished frying the pancakes place them in the hot baking tray in the oven for another 5 minutes so they cook properly on the inside. You can stage this if you don't have enough space in your frying pan to cook all at once!